Happy National Rum Day
Yo ho ho! Thursday, August 16th is National Rum Day and today we're celebrating by counting down all things rum. There are rum recipes for every season, but the best cocktails are the summer ones! Think pina colada, cuba libre, mojito or planters punch and it instantly transports you to a tropical beach, sipping away under a palm tree. Rum isn't just for drinks, there are several desserts that call for rum, both light and dark.
Twist Cocktails Top Ten Rum Facts:
10. Rum is made from sugarcane byproducts such as molasses or straight from sugarcane juice and is distilled in oak barrels.
9. The first distillation of rum took place on the sugarcane plantations by slaves of the Caribbean in the 17th century.
8. Pirates and rum go hand & hand as 17th buccaneers used the liquor for trade and other debaucheries.
7. Some rums can get up to 160 proof! Yikes!
6. Tiki culture in America is closely associated with rum cocktails such as the Zombie, Mai Tai and Blue Hawaiian.
5. The Bacardi Rum Company was founded in 1862 and has become a gigantic distributor of other liquors such as Grey Goose Vodka.
4. Most countries require rum to age for 1 year. Some countries age it for 15.
3. Light rums, which mostly come from Puerto Rico are for cocktails, dark rums are typically for sipping.
2. Rum is not only produced in Caribbean and Latin American countries. Several countries in Europe and Asia also produce their own versions.
1. The most popular rum drink? You guessed it - a classic rum and coke! Add a lime and it's a summery Cuba Libre.
- 1 2/3 ounces of your favorite rum (we like Bull Run Pacific Rum from Portland)
- Coca Cola
- Splash of fresh lime juice
Pour over fresh ice and drink like a pirate!